What is this?
Steelhax is an entrypoint for the 3DS and combined with Seedminer it's a primary one.
It enables free Homebrew access not Custom Firmware (CFW). The uses are pretty limited, since many homebrew apps don't work on any *hax entrypoint.
There is a list at the bottom of the with working apps.
If you want a full custom firmware for free, finish the guide below and then continue with
Other possible ways to get full custom firware are
What do I need?
- A legal copy of "Steel Diver: Sub Wars"
- Q: Can I launch FBI with steelhax? A: No
- Q: Can I install/play game backups with this? A: No
- Q: I found this guide on youtube and something doesn't work. What do i do? A: You go message that youtuber and ask them for help.
If you already installed Luma3DS you can ignore this guide, because it will not work. This is only for non cfw users
Section I - Getting your ID0
- Power off your 3DS
- Insert your SD Card into your PC and open the
Nintendo 3DS folder
- You will now find one or multiple folders with 32-character-long names
- If you only have one then skip this step
You should now see one folder with a 32-character-long name (see picture below).
- Navigate one folder up so you can see the
Nintendo 3DS folder again
- Rename your
Nintendo 3DS folder to
Nintendo BACKUP by right-clicking it and selecting "Rename"
- Put the SD Card back into your 3DS and power it on
- Wait for it to generate its data on your SD Card
- Power off your 3DS and insert the SD Card back into your PC
- Open the
Nintendo 3DS folder
The name of this folder is your ID0If you did NOT skip step 4, delete the
Nintendo 3DS folder and rename the
Nintendo BACKUP folder back to
Section II - Getting your movable.sed
Choose one of the following options. If one doesn't work, try the other one.
The automated way
- Open this website
- Input your Friend Code and your ID0
- Click "Go" and then add the displayed Friend Code on your system
- Wait until it finishes retrieving your
- When finished click "Continue" to let one of the online miners brute-force your
The manual way
- Join our discord server
and ask in our 3ds-assistance channels if someone has the time to help you get the
Tell them you are going to brute-force yourself. You might receive a file named
just rename it to
movable_part1.sed. Please have your Friend Code ready when asking for help!
- Open a command prompt by typing
cmd into the start menu search bar and pressing Enter
- In the new black window, type
py -3 --version
Download the latest release of Seedminer from here
and extract the zip fileMove
- If it reports
Python 3.x.x, you have Python 3
- If it complains, you either have Python 2 or no Python at all
- Go to python.org and download and
install the most recent Python 3 version, then redo this part to confirm it worked
movable_part1.sed into the
seedminer folder you just extracted, where the
seedminer_launcher3.py script isHold SHIFT and right click on an empty space in the
seedminer folder, then select
Open PowerShell window here or
Open command window hereType
py -3 seedminer_launcher3.py update-db into the new windowWait for it to finish, then type
py -3 seedminer_launcher3.py id0 YOUR ID0 HERE - replace
YOUR ID0 HERE
with your ID0 you got in Section I
Depending on what you want to use type the following:
- Note: If you downloaded your
movable_part1.sed from seedhelper then your ID0 is already added.
You should recieve the error "improper ID0 length or already in file"
py -3 seedminer_launcher3.py gpu (preferred, use CPU if you only have integrated graphics!)
py -3 seedminer_launcher3.py cpu (This can take a while!)
Troubleshoot:After it finishes, you will have a
If you encounter "bfcl is not recognized as an internal or external command [...]" then your anti-virus may have removed bfcl.exe.
Disable it temporarily and re-extract the files from the seedminer archive
If it only generated a
movable_part2.sed with no other error or action, then update your graphics card drivers and try again
Section III - Creating the Save File
- Upload your
movable.sed and select your region below
- Click "Start!" and wait for your savefile to download
- Recommended browsers are Chrome & Firefox, others might not work
Section IV - Finalizing
- Download the
- Download the otherapp payload
corresponding to your system version and rename it to
latest Version of the Homebrew MenuExtract the
- Note: Don't rename it to
payload.bin.bin. This can happen if file extensions are disabled on the system
steelhax-installer.rar and copy the
steelhax folder directly to your SD Card (not into any other folder!)Copy
payload.bin into the
steelhax folder on your SD CardCopy
boot.3dsx (Homebrew Menu) to the root of your SD CardStart the game once and select a Mii to initialize the save. Do not update the game when asked!
Close the game, power off your 3DS and insert your SD Card into your PCReplace the existing save in
- If you already updated the game, delete the Update Data in the System Settings
Nintendo 3DS > ID0 > ID1 > title > 00040000 > regionId > data (regionId see below) with the one you
got in Section III
Create a folder called
3ds on the root of your SD Card
Reinsert the SD Card into your 3DS and power it onStart the game
- You can add your .3dsx apps to this folder later
You should now boot into the Homebrew Menu. If not, check the Troubleshooting below or ask on our Discord Server
I get a solid yellow screen
Relaunch the game. It might take a few tries (You might need to force shut off the system be holding the power button)
I get a solid red screen
boot.3dsx is missing. Download it here and put it on the root of your SD Card
I get a solid black screen
You already have Luma3DS. Check by booting while holding (Select)
The game crashed with an error message
Check if you have the
/steelhax/ folder and the correct
The game crashed without an error message
payload.bin inside the
/steelhax/ folder has the wrong system version (old or new 3/2ds)
The game booted normally
You did not patch or overwrite the original savefile.
There is no guarantee all of the listed apps work on all systems!
- JKSM for save import/export
- PKSM for Pokemon save editing
hax folder from the
PKSM.zip into your
3ds folder on your SD Card)
- Anemone3DS for custom themes (the .3dsx file)
- Emulators (not all games work and performance may vary)
- zoogie for seedminer
- VegaRoXas for steelhax
- lory98 for 3ds-steelhax-encrypter
- wwylele for 3ds-save-tool
- My guinea pigs for testing
- All developers working on the linked apps & emulators
- And everybody else I forgot to mention